From burritos to Broods, get the scoop on this weekend’s Chipotle Cultivate Festival.
The Chipotle Cultivate Festival returns to Kansas City for its second year 11 a.m.-7 p.m. July 23 at Penn Valley Park. Not familiar with the free event? Come for the burritos and stay for these highlights.
1. We’re not kidding about the burritos. Cultivate features chips and salsa, burritos, bowls and tacos from Chipotle as well as food from other restaurants owned by the company, including Pizzeria Locale and ShopHouse Southeast Asian Kitchen. While there’s no cost to get in to the event, you do have to pay for food and drink.
2. There will be local bites, too. Those who love to support local businesses can purchase items from Rye, Dolce Bakery, Alchemy Coffee, Shatto Milk Co. and Poppy’s Ice Cream. Creations from a handful of local breweries and wineries will also be available, including a Mexican-style lager crafted by Boulevard Brewing Company and collaborators exclusively for the event.
3. You can learn to cook. Chef demos run throughout the day and include a mix of presenters. KC-based culinary stars like Michael Corvino of The American and Colby Garrelts of Rye and Bluestem are on the schedule along with Carla Hall of “Top Chef” and “The Chew” fame and the Travel Channel’s Andrew Zimmern.
4. …And learn about food. Cultivate isn’t all fun and games—there’s also an educational component featuring five “experiences,” including short films about the journey toward better food and a healthier environment, discussion of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and a demonstration of how Chipotle’s guacamole is made, complete with a taste test. Collect stamps showing you went to at least thee of the experiences then swing by the info tent to get a coupon for a free burrito, bowl, salad or order of tacos and IZZE at any Chipotle.
5. Music, anyone? One of the major draws of the festival is the live entertainment. The lineup spans from 11:15 a.m., when homegrown indie rockers Hembree taken the stage, to synth-pop duo Broods at 6 p.m. In between, catch The Knocks, JR JR, The Mowgli’s and Atlas Genius.
See full schedules and additional information here.
Photos courtesy of Chipotle Mexican Grill.