National Dog Day: The perfect excuse to spoil your pet.
Sure you walk them, feed them, pet them and cuddle up with them, but how often do you do something special for your furry canine partner in crime? In honor of our new favorite holiday-of-the-day, National Dog Day on Aug. 26, we’ve thought up five ways to show your pup a little TLC.
1. Eating al fresco. It’s not just us humans who love to soak up the sun while enjoying a tasty meal. If your dog is well-behaved and keeps his cool as people come and go, grab an outdoor table at one of these pet-friendly restaurants. One of our favorites, Rock & Brews, even has a special menu for dogs, so they don’t have to settle for scraps.
2. Treats! There’s a reason they’re called treats. Make your pet’s day with one of Three Dog Bakery’s amazing confections; just don’t be tempted to take a bite yourself.
3. Bark-worthy art. The whole not having thumbs thing makes snapping a selfie tough for dogs. Although your phone’s camera roll is probably packed with photos of Fido, invest in a framed silhouette of your pooch from HMK for a more permanent record of how doggone adorable he is. Hang it on the wall or perch it on a shelf so your dog and visitors get a view too.
4. Gear up. Nothing shows your furry family member he or she is part of the team like a jersey. Treats Unleashed carries cute Royals gear, including teas and collars, to help your dog show its KC spirit.
5. Helping another dog. We’re betting that no dog wants its fellow animals to be homeless. If you can welcome another pet into your life, go for it today! If not, make National Dog Day special for one of the thousands of area shelter dogs by casting a vote in Great Plains SPCA’s charitable Fuzzy Fotos contest or making a donation to KC Pet Project, which is in the final days of a matching grant.